
I wouldn’t normally blog just to talk about something I did, but this is not a post about any ordinary event. Tuesday, August 4, 2009 is a day that I will remember for sure! On Tuesday night I:
- Learned that to have a baby, I have to love a man with all my heart. There’s no stork involved at all!
- Was inspired to re-decorate my room with brick walls and 19th century portraits
- Was inspired to cut my hair again, possibly unevenly
- Really noticed the effects lights give to a show
- Hung out in a shady alley to get a picture with a man I don’t know personally
- Felt the stage shaking with the Boys’ stomping in “The Bitch of Living”
- Memorized the choreography to “Touch Me”
- Sympathized with Morritz
- Exercised an amazing amount of self-control and refrained from jumping up with the cast in “Totally Fucked”
- Was engulfed by the effects of a fog machine
- Fell in love with musical theatre all over again
- Laughed and cried
- Walked across a real Broadway stage!
- Was close enough to hear the actors singing without the aid of the mics!
- Sat two seats away from Jake Epstein!
- Saw Spring Awakening opening night in Chicago….. SITTING ONSTAGE!!!!!!
I am a huge theatre geek, and when I learned that I could have the opportunity to see SA opening night in the onstage seating (at a seriously discounted price no less!) I jumped at it! I’m proud to say that I’m a member of “The Guilty Ones”, a group that started in New York as a fanbase who decided the show was so amazing they were going to take publicity for the show into their own hands. Broadway in Chicago started a chapter of The Guilty Ones here and in exchange for talking up the show and recruiting people I get awesome prizes like discounted tickets and free stuff! A pretty sweet deal if you ask me! It was great for me too because no one in my family is into theatre and with the exception of a pair of Rent tickets my brother got me when it was here last February, I get all my own tickets. For anyone who loves theatre but can’t get tickets easily because they’re so expensive, look for deals! There’s usually some kind of promotional code you can use, or student rush tickets and it is definitely worth it!
Seeing SA made my life a little more complete. It was just amazing! It started out in a small theatre off-Broadway and I think being so close to all the action is a little more like it was originally seen. What made it even better was that I got to bring my best friend with me to see it too, so I got to share that experience with her. Seriously one of the most memorable nights of my life ever!!

No comments:
Post a Comment